Monday 2 April 2012

 The dreaded apple crunch
There is a certain etiquette a person must adhere to when sitting in a university library. Often, you only really begin to understand these guidelines in time, generally after you have breached one of these rules. Today, I breached a rule I didn’t know existed.
An apple is a great snack. It is cheap, conveniently durable so the ever so familiar story of ‘squashed fruit at the bottom of your school bag’ doesn’t happen and undoubtedly, the general population enjoying eating them. I surely do. But as I found out this morning, the usually round, red or green edible fruit off a small tree, is definitely not as welcome as Steve Job’s version of an apple in my library.
This morning in my library, after a certain amount of exasperated gasps from the pessimist beside me, I wanted to turn to her and asked if she was in pain or experiencing some kind of torture. I didn’t have to. Moments later she turned and out came the unexpected; “Could you stop munching on that crunchy apple!"
I was stunned at her demand. Was she jealous my apple was crunchier than the one she had eaten this morning? Was I an excessively noisy eater?
I apologised, threw the remaining of my damn delicious juicy apple away and continue working with sticky fingers all over the keyboard.
Note to self- don’t eat apples in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment